Customised search for historical information

14 April 2008

On this day in history: First Volvo car produced,1927

Eighty years ago today the Swedish vehicle manufacturer Volvo produced their first car. On 14th April, 1927, the first ÖV4 - nicknamed the 'Jakob' left the company's Hisingen factory in Gothenburg driven by Sales Director, Hilmer Johansson.

Three years earlier, two employees of ball bearing manufacturer AB SKF, Assar Gabrielsson and Gustaf Larson, decided that Sweden needed a car industry. So, they founded Volvo, which is Latin for 'I roll', as a subsidiary of AB SKF. The company went on to produce their first truck in 1927; in 1934, they manufactured their first bus; and, after World War II, a very succesfull line of tractors.

For more information about eighty years of Volvo, see the history page on their web site.

2 comments:

CyberCelt said...

I had a Volvo. It was the worst car I have ever had. I always heard how good and safe they were, but I go a lemon. Figures...

Borkiman said...

cybercelt

I guess it depends on the model. I have had a few friends who have had Volvos with varying degrees of success.

Thanks for commenting. K